We are pleased to announce that the squash club will re-open on 1st August for members’ use. Thank you for your patience and support over the lockdown period.
Because of the ongoing situation, and taking into account government guidelines, guidance from England Squash and having conducted an in-depth risk assessment, the club will initially offer restricted facilities. We are therefore postponing membership renewals for a further month. We will ask members who want to make use of the club to renew their membership from 1st September, with fees to be pro-rata for the remaining 8 months of the season. Members who do not feel comfortable using the facilities can apply to suspend their membership until the social distancing guidance is revoked. Please contact email@example.com if you would like to suspend your membership.
We will take a very cautious approach, with the safety of our members, their families and those of our staff and coaches our foremost priority. Please remember that our building is quite small and the layout is awkward in places, and it therefore presents its own unique difficulties in the current situation. We are aiming to start small and will adapt as we see how well the arrangements pan out.
The initial arrangements for re-opening are outlined below, including your obligations as players. Apologies for the long email, but there are a number of changes to explain.
In accordance with England Squash recommendations, the changing rooms and showers will be out of action and we ask that members do not attempt to use them. The toilets will be available but will only be cleaned once per day, so please do not use these other than in an emergency.
As a result of the risk assessment, we have taken the decision to keep the first floor and the bar area closed for now. In order to supervise the initial re-opening of the club, and in order to ensure the courts and club are thoroughly cleaned before play every day, the club will operate only between 5:30pm and 10:30pm each evening. All members, including off-peak and juniors, will be allowed to play in these periods.
The club will be closed (locked) outside of those hours. Please do not attempt to access the club. Please note that there are new CCTV cameras covering all three courts.
Entry and exit:
The club will operate a one-way system with entry through the main door and exit through the fire exit door behind court 3. The mens’ changing room will not be in use and therefore access to court 3 will be through the ground floor corridor for both male and female members. Note that the doors to the changing rooms will be removed to reduce the number of touch points.
Exit will not be permitted from the main door. Entry will not be permitted via the exit door. The keypad at the front door is no longer in use. You will only need to present your entry card to the cardreader to gain entry to the club.
Please arrive not more than 5 minutes before your allotted court time, wearing your playing kit except for your shoes. We suggest that you wear outdoor shoes which are easy to slip on and off. Please leave the club immediately after your court time has elapsed via the fire exit door.
We recommend you use hand sanitizer before entry to the club and upon exit Hand sanitizers will be installed along with anti-bacterial dispensers outside each court and by the entrance and exit to the club. Please make use of them!
Please try to touch as little as possible while you are in the club. It should be possible to open the entry and exit doors with your elbow or body; please try not to use your hands.
Touching the court door handle is unavoidable to exit the court, so please sanitize your hands immediately afterwards, and as you exit the court please wipe the handle using the antibacterial wipes provided.
- Court bookings will operate from 5:30pm – 10:30pm each evening.
- Courts will be 45 minutes as usual, with a 15 minute gap between bookings.
- If playing with another member, you will be required to add their name to the booking so that we can track and trace players (we have an obligation to store/provide this data)
- There is no option to ‘turn up and play’ – members must book courts in advance
- Guests are not allowed to play at the club until otherwise advised (see track and trace comments)
- Visitors are not allowed to enter or remain in the building. If a parent of a junior player, we recommend you wait outside to collect your child after the session has ended.
- All members should uphold the rules and politely remind anyone who is not doing so
- Should you see someone ignore the rules, we ask that you report such behaviour to the committee
- Flagrant violation of these rules will be followed up which may result in being barred from using the club.
- No one who is self-isolating or feeling unwell should enter the grounds
- Social distancing must be maintained at all times
- Bring a phone in case of medical emergency and essential supplies to treat minor emergencies
- Arrive ready to play in the correct squash attire
- No more than 2 people allowed on court at any one time
- Please take off your outdoor shoes before entering the court. We suggest that you walk onto court in socks then put on your court shoes inside the court.
- Please do not wear outside shoes on court, or vice-versa. The courts have just been refurbished and as always we take great pride in their condition.
- Bring your own drinks in a closed lid water bottle and own towel to wipe away sweat
- Do not wipe your hands on the walls
- Remove any tissues and litter from the court and dispose of it in the pedal bins or take it home
- When exiting the court, wipe down the court doors and door handles using wipes and store in bins provided
- For opponents not from the same household or support bubble:
- No handshaking/physical contact
- Each player should place their belongings separately at the front of the court
- We recommend you bring a fresh ball on court (or use a freshly cleaned one) and that the ball be either thrown away or thoroughly cleaned after play.
- Only one person should serve/touch the ball
Coaching & Rules of Play:
- 1-on-1 coaching will be permitted subject to England Squash social distancing rules
- Coaches may be permitted to coach one individual per session
- Group coaching and junior group coaching will not be permitted at this stage
Game/Play formats allowed:
Members of the same household or support bubble may play as normal Opponents from different households must maintain social distancing while on court. The recommendations for safe activities are evolving but at the time of writing these include:
- ‘Sides’ - a competitive crosscourt game
- Socially distanced practice drills, e.g. boast-and-drive, lob-and-volley-drop etc.
- Solo practice
Please see England Squash’s Back to Squash for the latest recommendations.
Management Committee Woking Squash Rackets Club